[HECnet] AXPBox

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Nov 5 14:42:04 PST 2020

The key thing is the progress this represents.  The fact that you got it running at all would seem to put it ahead of Jonathan D. Belanger’s DECaxp fork.  I believe some folks had gotten ES40 to sort of boot, but I don’t think they got as far as any networking.  AXPbox represents a very important path forward for the OpenVMS Hobbyist community, and I wish the folks working on it nothing but the best!

In all fairness, you shouldn’t expect good performance from any Raspberry Pi that’s being used to emulate a DEC Alpha.  The commercial Alpha emulators really expect you to be running on a high-end system.

The DEC Alpha page on my DEC Emulation website has just been updated to reflect this news.
http://www.avanthar.com/healyzh/decemulation/Alpha.html

If anyone has any information on Jonathan D. Belanger’s DECaxp fork, I’d be interested.

Zane