[HECnet] KLH10 front-end reload??

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 20:19:20 PDT 2020

After working on the DTEKPA issue and coming up with a work around, I
went searching to see if the problem had ever been reported.  In fact,
it had been.   By me.   ...Well over a decade ago...

Basically, the default behavior for Tops-20 is to note that a front-end
counter isn't incrementing and--if on the next check it still hasn't
changed--to declare the associated PDP-11 front end down and to initiate
a reboot.  This gives the 11 about a millisecond to get its act together
before the KL whacks it.

Of course, that will never work in KLH10 (see below and previous);
you're hung because the KLH10 DTE emulator doesn't implement code to
simulate a reboot action, so the KL loops forever looking for the
response.  Of course, why would it?  There should be no reason for
Tops-20 to ever think its down.   Seeing as I like writing assembler
more than C, I decided not to tweak the KLH10 code (I have tweaked it
for other cases and might rethink this).

The workaround is to define some additional functions for the BOOT% JSYS
to set some variables in resident storage in STG and modify DTESRV to
use them.  You can now set an elapsed time to wait before declaring the
PDP-11 down.  I default to five minutes of non-incrementing keep-alive.
Depending on how hard I am beating on things, the front end 'appears' to
go away between anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds.

I think probably the real fix is to not depend on an OS interrupt to
increment the counter.  A thread should be spawned which uses
nanosleep() to bump the counter every 500 microseconds, no matter what
the rest of KLH10 might be doing.  KLH10 is already using multiple forks
for the disks, tape, NI, Etc. (one reason I've preferred it over SimH),
so maybe this won't be a big deal.