[HECnet] How much should you be allowed to shoot yourself in the foot?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:41:43 PDT 2020

I was updating some of MRC's late changes into my version of PANDA.  A
(very) few of these were not documented with a change number, so I had
been caught by surprise.  While doing this, I stumbled over some
defensive coding that he had put in to keep even an enabled WHEEL or
OPERATOR from doing something /Really/ /Bad/.

I got to wondering about this, which led me to think about the use of
the OPERATOR id, which is analogous to the [1,2] PPN under Tops-10 and
maybe having administrator rights under Windows, not as bad as root.

Tops-20, like most mainframe operating systems of the day, assumed a
trained operations staff (as in trained to "DON'T TOUCH") and a trained
systems programming staff.  However, this all-or-nothing approach
eventually became more granular with the implementation of SEMI-OPR
capability.  I had implemented this at Columbia several years earlier
with SC%LOP, or Little Operator capability (this was known colloquially
as l'opr.)  We had a number of training issues with our operators (some
of them literally could not read), so this allowed them to use Galaxy to
mount tapes and paper forms, but nothing more.  PANDA provides
administrator capability (SC%ADM) which allows a certain amount of file
system administration.

The PANDA access control job (ACJ) already puts certain restrictions on
OPERATOR, mainly in the area of login.  It occurred to me that the above
assumptions concerning training simply are not true in the current
hobbyist universe.  You can actually remove OPERATOR (SC%OPR) capability
from the OPERATOR id, which will break a rather large number of things.
As a matter of fact, you can delete the OPERATOR id entirely.  I'm not
sure you could complete boot up into an sensible state after that; I
guess you'd need to turn on debugging and go directly to KDDT to then
recreate the id by hand. That's training; maybe Monitor Internals level
training...

And of course, even trained individuals can do dumb things... (GUILTY!)
So I modified the ACJ further to implement the following policies on a
CRDIR% of OPERATOR:

 1. May not delete OPERATOR.
 2. May not remove SC%OPR from OPERATOR.
 3. May not set OPERATOR not login-able
      * FILES-ONLY
      * INVALID
      * CHARGE-LIMITED
 4. May not set OPERATOR FTP-ONLY (no way to get to the EXEC; the normal
    time-sharing user interface)
 5. May not set 'junk' (I.E., undocumented) bits in OPERATOR directory
    protection word
 6. May not set OPERATOR directory protection to allow world read, write
    or connect
 7. May not clear the OPERATOR password (set to NUL)

If you're winning enough to defeat these restrictions, then maybe you're
winning enough to understand the ramifications of doing them.

Comments for other DEC OS's?  I don't remember what RSTS, RSX and VMS do.