[HECnet] Decnet8: Who has any knowledge about this product and has seen it actually working in whatever versions? -> Pydecnet etc.

R. Voorhorst R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com
Mon Oct 19 14:58:27 PDT 2020

Hi Paul,

I have tried your router but it gave some problems on Centos 6.10 to get it
running, though at first it ran well but had some routing problems I told
you about.
I had to do some things to get it up, but later in the process of updating
pydecnet, Centos started at a certain point complaining about corrupted
kernel.
I do not speak Unix very well, so I may well have installed to many basic
things to get it running and therewith contaminated something.

Point is that with simh logging, I already can see enough about packets
interchange, however there is no exchange at all at the moment: it is stone
dead.
Activating Tlk to force some internal activity leads directly to a halt
instruction with not a very illuminating comment as explanation.
Injecting a packet from a Vax async ddcmp line leads to reception and
discarding of the sync preamble and then a halt instruction for packet
fragmentation.
Of course I was playing false with it, as the start message had C0 for flags
that Decnet8 expects to be a fill, whatever the fill value may have been
expected.
There I can make use of your product to excite the system somewhat.
By the way, the current Decnet8 is imho NOT phase II; I suspect they had it
running in the laboratory (viz Ddcmp version 4B versus V1C) and in the spd
claiming compatibility with Pdp11 phase-II products, but it probably never
got outside the gates.
The mixed dates are a mystery but some Dec people should be around with
knowledge about this.
Moreover, I suppose the main driving force for the Pdp8A with notably the
Kt8 was from LSG as the Psdp8a was also an Anf10 workstation (680) though
with limited caps.

Thanks,

Reindert