[HECnet] Decnet8: Who has any knowledge about this product and has seen it actually working in whatever versions? -> Pydecnet etc.

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 16:32:08 PDT 2020

> On Oct 19, 2020, at 5:58 PM, R. Voorhorst <R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I have tried your router but it gave some problems on Centos 6.10 to get it
> running, though at first it ran well but had some routing problems I told
> you about.

It's been a while, and I've made some fixes.  You might try with the current version.

> I had to do some things to get it up, but later in the process of updating
> pydecnet, Centos started at a certain point complaining about corrupted
> kernel.

If the kernel is corrupted, that's their bug, by definition.  You should find a better Linux in that case.

PyDECnet is a straightforward user mode application.  It should run with just a stock simple Unix and a stock Python 3.

> I do not speak Unix very well, so I may well have installed to many basic
> things to get it running and therewith contaminated something.

> There I can make use of your product to excite the system somewhat.
> By the way, the current Decnet8 is imho NOT phase II; I suspect they had it
> running in the laboratory (viz Ddcmp version 4B versus V1C) and in the spd
> claiming compatibility with Pdp11 phase-II products, but it probably never
> got outside the gates.

Hm.  If it's not Phase II, what would it be?  Phase I?  I have a Phase I protocol document somewhere, I forgot what OS it's for.  That is very much incompatible with everything else (and no sane way to do the translation, I've thought about it).

	paul