[HECnet] integrity and alpha hardware

Jason Brady jr_brady at fastmail.com
Sat Sep 5 11:11:28 PDT 2020

If you want an older Alpha system for OpenVMS and HECnet, DS10 series is a good option. There has been a lot of discussion here and on comp.os.vms for restoring, upgrading and maintaining the DS10 hardware, and many of our fellow HECnet members are experts.

2.400 APOLLO is an AlphaStation 400 4/233. Older AlphaStation / AlphaServers may not be very fast by today's standards but more than enough horsepower for DECnet, Multinet, Rdb and whatever VMS software you want to run. Not a big power hog so it's the always-on Routing IV node for my small stable of HECnet systems. Hard to find now, but over the years I collected enough spare parts to keep it running for the foreseeable future. You might find something like this available in your area.

A couple of ideas. Best of luck and enjoy!