[HECnet] integrity and alpha hardware

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Sat Sep 5 12:32:19 PDT 2020

>If you want an older Alpha system for OpenVMS and HECnet, DS10 series is a good option.

I have a DS20 (CODA:: on HECnet) and they’re really nice machines.  It has IDE slots and USB, both of which are sort of supported by VMS, redundant power supplies and fans, 4GB of RAM, two CPUs, and other good stuff.  Problem is that it uses about 350 watts just sitting there doing nothing.  It’s too expensive to leave it running all the time.  But if you can afford the electric bill then a DS10 or 20 is a nice AXP VMS machine.

  BTW, if anybody has a floor pedestal for the DS20 that they’d like to get rid of. Let me know.  Mine’s a rack mount but I don’t have a spare rack space for it.

Bob