[HECnet] Here there be dragons...

John Yaldwyn jy at xtra.co.nz
Sat Sep 5 13:52:19 PDT 2020

Good luck with your project Mark.

I didn't mention that one advantage of sharing is the cost split. The 1Gbps fibre connection is reasonably expensive at $110 per month but split three ways that's cheaper than any other plan and of course way faster. It's not so much the actual speed as the low latency. With ADSL the latency was around 20ms, the rural 700MHz LTE was about 30 ms, satellite is off the chart at 300ms or so, but the fiber was <1ms with some additional delays from the Ubiquity link and Cisco switch bring it to <2ms at my PC (all ping times measured to the same ping host).

The latency is important because while you might think that's not much of a delay for a web page, it actually all adds up because one web page often involves dozens of DNS resolution requests and HTTP gets and so the latency times rapidly add up to slow the loading.

A nice letter to candidate locations setting out what you're trying to achieve might work, give it a go!

You might want to look for some low cost public liability insurance to reassure anyone you co-locate with. I carry $2m of such insurance in case stock wanders on the road or someone hurts themselves on our property. It's quite cheap insurance compared to house insurance.

73, John
ZL4JY