[HECnet] Here there be dragons...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Sep 5 14:10:13 PDT 2020

On 9/5/20 4:52 PM, John Yaldwyn wrote:
> A nice letter to candidate locations setting out what you're trying to achieve might work, give it a go!
>
> You might want to look for some low cost public liability insurance to reassure anyone you co-locate with. I carry $2m of such insurance in case stock wanders on the road or someone hurts themselves on our property. It's quite cheap insurance compared to house insurance.

   The problem that's likely to arise here is nontechnical people not
understanding things.  You'll get "Ohhhh, I dunno, I don't think we're
supposed to do that!" type of responses, from sheep who are accustomed
to being told what to do by their service providers.

   Some gentle education can usually get past this if there's enough
gray matter present.  But we now live in a world in which people are so
clueless that there are office buildings with ~100 suites each with
separate network connections, bought and paid for separately...and the
providers are all too happy to perpetuate it.