[HECnet] Question for PyDECnet users

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 05:07:37 PDT 2020

> On Sep 24, 2020, at 9:48 PM, David Moylan <djm at wiz.net.au> wrote:
>
>>> On 2020-09-24 23:15, Paul Koning wrote:
>>
>> Peter suggests a configuration option.  That's easy as a global setting, and just
>> about as easy on a per circuit basis.
>
> I think the more information that's available in the PyDECnet webui the better, but I also think a configuration option to enable/disable would be appreciated and would fit the use case of most users.

Thanks.  Yes, I'll aim for that.  Probably not in the next drop but soon after.

> One thing that would be super cool is to have the ability to actually edit the configuration within the webui itself. Of course there would have to be an authentication required to do so.
> The thought this spawns from would be the ability to change a circuit configuration, or adding in a new circuit without fully restarting PyDECnet itself.
>
> I was just thinking a few weeks ago while I was trying to get Multinet authentication going between my home and my office - which turned out to be a few different things - but that I was constantly stopping and starting PyDECnet while the only real change was one specific circuit.
>
> Not a real deal breaker - but if you were putting things on your development radar, the ability to restart PyDECnet without breaking active connections would be nice.

It's on the radar, definitely.  Not a simple change though.  The current design builds everything at startup.  Changing parameters is typically not all that hard; adding and removing things is a different matter.  Some cases are still straightforward, like adding or deleting node name/address entries.  Adding or deleting circuits at run time is more complicated, though doable in principle.

The right answer is likely to do it in pieces.  First is access control, then parameter change for existing objects, last the add/delete cases.

	paul