[HECnet] Reading RT11 files under Windows or Linux

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 21 10:44:04 PDT 2021

On 2021-04-21 19:31, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>> That's the kicker with RSX... You have TCP/IP.
>
>    Thanks, but VMS has FTP too...  And EXCHANGE _is_ FLX - DEC decided to change the name on VMS for some reason known only to them.  All the VAXes with independent front end processors used RT11 for the FE file system, and so exchanging files with RT11 is fairly important there.

I know. It's just that FTP under VMS sometimes might be a bit trickier
when trying to transfer binary files and get whatever format you might
want to have on the VMS side...

Just sayin'. :-)

But otherwise all true...

Well, except all VAXen with independent FE didn't use RT11. But you'll
probably hate me for this. :-)
Some used the Professional with P/OS. Some even used a MicroVAX II...

But the VAX-11 machines with a FE had something RT-11 like as the file
system.