[HECnet] All gone silent

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Aug 16 14:44:21 PDT 2021

On 8/16/21 5:41 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>> However, should get to Uppsala to see MAGICA:: (real 11/70) and KRILLE::
>>> (real VAX-8650) before they get dismantled.
>>
>>    I'm sorry, what?  DISMANTLED??
>
> Update is scheduled to be evicted from the current location. As Update
> have a *lot* of stuff, currently at the University, gracefully sponsored
> until now by them, we need to find a new place to be, and the University
> does not appear to be it.
>
> We will most likely not be able to keep everything we have, and larger
> systems will be hard to keep in a running state, so best kind of
> scenario might look like they get kept in storage. But we'll have to
> disconnect and dismantle everything for now, as it for sure will have to
> be moved out.
>
> Not entirely sure about the time plan yet. Most likely spring 2022.

  That is absolutely awful.  Being at the mercy of another organization
sucks.

  It's a long shot, but LSSM may be able to get enough donor support to
pay to ocean-freight those machines here, if they would otherwise be at
risk.  We were very successful at this in the past, with a shipping
container full of IBM mainframes from Amsterdam.