[HECnet] All gone silent

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Aug 16 15:05:20 PDT 2021

On 2021-08-16 23:58, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 8/16/21 5:55 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>>     No doubt.  But I think those that aren't peoples' houses will likely
>>> be in the same boat as Update, i.e. dependent upon the good graces of an
>>> organization that may withdraw support at any time.  That's a tough
>>> problem to solve.  Just keep it in mind.  I know of NO other complete
>>> VAX 8650s anywhere else.
>>
>> Yeah. I don't know of any other operational 8650s either. We have two,
>> but the second one have a couple of things (well, just one - the fan)
>> that would need fixing to run it.
>
>    That sounds doable.

It's not trivial, but possibly doable. We're talking about needing to
re-weld a centrifugal fan that is running at a rather high RPM.

>> But who is not dependent on the good graces of others?
>
>    LSSM isn't.  I own the building and the property.  Its financial
> survival is dependent upon its donors, but there are a lot of them,
> affording a degree of redundancy.

Well, donors is just again the good graces of others.

It's good that you have spread the load. But the problem is not really
that different. Update is now looking at ways of running things in a
different way, and we'll see what happens.