[HECnet] All gone silent

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Aug 16 15:09:14 PDT 2021

On 8/16/21 6:05 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>    LSSM isn't.  I own the building and the property.  Its financial
>> survival is dependent upon its donors, but there are a lot of them,
>> affording a degree of redundancy.
>
> Well, donors is just again the good graces of others.
>
> It's good that you have spread the load. But the problem is not really
> that different.

  The high-granularity redundancy means about 400 humans need to say
"fuck LSSM", rather than one business organization.  And honestly, if
that happens, I'll just go back to paying for it (as best I can) out of
my pocket like I did in the beginning.

  I did build this place with a strong eye toward safety and
independence, because I know very well (better than most in fat) exactly
how treacherous suits can be.

> Update is now looking at ways of running things in a
> different way, and we'll see what happens.

  I will cross my fingers.  The best outcome by far, of course, would be
for those machines to stay right where they are under your care.  But I
would not want anything bad to happen to those machines if that plan fails.