[HECnet] All gone silent

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Wed Aug 18 11:40:57 PDT 2021

Hi

I thought I should add some details to the discussion, see below.

We know for certain that we must have evacuated the premise on the first of
march 2022. If the new owners restoration plans gets delayed for some reason we
might to get to stay longer. But we must act as if that is not happening.

Since we received the news we have raised the membership fee, relaxed the
rules (making it possible for non-students to become members) and search for
outside sponsors. This has given us quite a bit of cash on hand and we can
afford to keep things in storage for a while and maybe rent a smaller space.

But this is not sustainable, we need more members and more sponsorships!

> >> Dave McGuire wrote:
> >>    It's a long shot, but LSSM may be able to get enough donor support to
> >> pay to ocean-freight those machines here, if they would otherwise be at
> >> risk.  We were very successful at this in the past, with a shipping
> >> container full of IBM mainframes from Amsterdam.
>
>   No doubt.  But I think those that aren't peoples' houses will likely
> be in the same boat as Update, i.e. dependent upon the good graces of an
> organization that may withdraw support at any time.  That's a tough
> problem to solve.  Just keep it in mind.  I know of NO other complete
> VAX 8650s anywhere else.

Dave, you are an inspiration, what you have accomplished with LSSM is what we
are aiming for. And you are already on the list of people we intend to ask to
rescue some machines if it comes to that. We are well aware that shipping this
stuff requires planning so we will hopefully not surprise you with a tight
schedule.

However, at this point we are still optimistic about securing funding and keep
going.

However, if you are still reading, consider becoming a member and/or donating:

https://www.update.uu.se/blimedlem_eng.html

Bankgiro account number: 5676-6512 (for membership fees)
IBAN: SE46 8000 0838 1673 4157 0484
BIC: SWEDSESSXXX
Swish number: 123 631 11 53 (mobile phone payment service)
Paypal: kassor at update.uu.se
Organisationsnummer: 817603-8324 (Swedish juridical person ID number)

Thank you!
Pontus.