[HECnet] Connecting an HP Itanium BL860c to HECNET... without ethernet

Keith Halewood Keith.Halewood at pitbulluk.org
Fri Dec 10 12:32:39 PST 2021

We used to do asynchronous ddcmp using a terminal line on a micro VAX 2 having loaded NODRIVER.

Keith

On 10 Dec 2021, at 20:29, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:

I know VMS at least did some kind of line.  Columbia's chemistry department got a VAX before the campus Ethernet existed, so that wouldn't have been an option.

However, I can't remember whether it was a synchronous or asynchronous connection; only that the 'wire' went into one of our DN20's (I think CU20B).  I think the 'wire' had modems on both sides, but I can't remember what those were, either.