[HECnet] Connecting an HP Itanium BL860c to HECNET... without ethernet

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 16:08:32 PST 2021

Those names almost sound like they want to be familiar, but not quite.
What I recall for a DN20 was that, in terms of communication, MCB only
had two speeds.

  * A 'fast' interface could do 56 KBid, synchronous.  I /think/ that
    part was called a "KMC".  It may have had some sort of embedded
    microprocessor on it, but I don't recall what kind of operations it
    performed.
  * A 'slow' interface could do up to 9.6 KBid (I think).  I can't quite
    remember what it was called.  Maybe a DUP-11?  I might be getting
    that mixed up with the RSX20F front end, which had single line
    interfaces that I think were called DL's.

I don't recall that MCB could do asynchronous communications, but I
don't remember that it did.  I can't remember how we connected distant
systems (CMU, Case Western and Stevens) when we were first building
CCnet.  I had thought that we were using synchronous modems, but I
wouldn't swear to it.

There was a bit of an argument when we finally got Ethernet (and the CI)
and DECnet IV that most of the DN20's should be disconnected and
removed,  This was to free up space in our perennially cramped machine
room, but it would have meant less heat, electricity and maybe less
maintenance $$$.  The overall head of Tops-20 systems programming
decided to play it conservatively and keep them, 'just in case'.  I
think if DEC had not walked away from the 36 bit market, they probably
would have eventually been pitched.

We had a Pro, but this was largely to port Kermit to it.  I think
Stevens went with Pro's in a rather large way, but I don't remember what
they ran.