[HECnet] DECnet-VAX V3.0, VMS V3.5 (Was Re: Oldest VAX/VMS for VAX-11/730 on HECNET)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Dec 16 16:30:09 PST 2021

> On Dec 16, 2021, at 7:05 PM, Supratim Sanyal <supratim at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> TL;DR: sorry Johnny, now you have to add 31.42 XXXV, SimH VAX-11/780, VMS 3.5 DECnet-VAX V3.0 but Phase-IV, to the node database :)

Excellent news!

BTW, I wonder if you're reading too much into the DECnet/VMS product version number.  If it's anything like DECnet/E, those numbers have no connection to the DECnet architecture "phase" number.

For that matter, even the DECnet architectural version numbers are weird.  In Phase II we have NSP 3.1, communication version number 3.1.  Phase III has NSP 3.2, routing version 1.3, and session version 1.0.  Phase IV is routing 2.0, NSP 4.0, session still 1.0.  Then various incremental tweaks to Phase IV gave us routing 2.1 or 2.2, NSP 4.1 and session 2.0.  It gets even worse if you look at applications (DAP version 5.6 in Phase II, then up to 6.0 and 7.0 later on) or DDCMP (3.1 is the oldest I have seen, in Phase II, then on to 4.0 in Phase III and beyond).

	paul