[HECnet] Disallow login on DZ line in VMS

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Tue Dec 21 05:04:46 PST 2021

"Mark J. Blair" <nf6x at nf6x.net> writes:

>> On Dec 20, 2021, at 6:00 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- =
><system at TMESIS.COM> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Sounds like VMS also have /NOINTERACTIVE...?
>>=20
>> VMS has no /NOINTERACTIVE.  Interactive is a process right assigned
>> to a process that is instantiated via an unsolicited interrupt on a
>> terminal device.
>
>/NOINTERACTIVE is not listed in the HELP SET TERM text, but SET TERM =
>TTAn: /PERM/NOINTERACTIVE is accepted as a command where I tried it in =
>v5.5 and v7.3, and it changes the first characteristic shown by SHOW =
>TERM from "Interactive" to "Passall". /shrug

/[NO]PASSALL is obsolete.  You'll also find that it will disable other
terminal features you may desire keeping.

>From the VMS HELP for SET TERMINAL/TYPE_AHEAD:

SET

  TERMINAL

    /TYPE_AHEAD

          /TYPE_AHEAD (default)
          /NOTYPE_AHEAD

       Controls whether the terminal accepts unsolicited input to the
       limit of the type-ahead buffer.

       When you specify the /NOTYPE_AHEAD qualifier, the terminal
       accepts input only when a program or the system issues a read
       to the terminal, such as for user input at the DCL prompt ($).
       When you specify the /TYPE_AHEAD qualifier, the amount of data
       that can be accepted is governed by the size of the type-ahead
       buffer. That size is determined by system generation parameters.

>Thank you for your explanation of how a login prompt gets triggered.
>That was neat. It's quite different from the way that happens in
>unix-like OSes.

Yup.  Having a getty hanging about on all possible terminals seems a bit
1970 to me.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG