[HECnet] DECnet/m+

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Dec 22 10:07:30 PST 2021

Hi, Paul. Sorry I didn't answer earlier. Saw some other mails I should
have responded too as well, but been a bit busy.

Anyway. 4.0 is way old and have various issues you do not want or need.
Locate M+ 4.6 instead. That's basically the only version I'd recommend.
And yes, M+ is definitely easier to deal with than 11M.

You can find both tapes at
http://bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/magtapes/rsx11mplus/

Basically you want BB-J0830-01.L01_RSX11M+_V4.6_BRU_1999.tap, which
should be bootable, and contain all you need for M+ itself. There is a
second tape (BB-J0830-01.M01_RSX11M+_V4.6_1999.tap), which might be the
second tape if the whole thing came on two tapes. (I got M+ 4.6 on TK50,
which just came on a single cartridge.)

Then you want DECnet, which is decnet11mp46-netkit.tap. The manuals are
online, but of course you can also just ask. And since you seem to have
already managed once, it should hopefully not be too complicated.

After that, you might also want to install TCP/IP, and then you can
experiment on from that...

   Johnny