[HECnet] DECnet/m+

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Dec 22 11:48:16 PST 2021

On 2021-12-22 20:42, Paul Koning wrote:
> More...
>
> I unpacked that decnet46 tape image with BRU, and did netgen with that.  I get an endnode, I missed the fact it didn't ask me if I wanted something else.  So how would I get a router instead?

Sounds like you are faced with an endnode kit. Then you don't have a choice.
Download the full DECnet kit from MIM, and make a new installation with
that. Now that you've come this far, that is fairly easy to do, since
the tape image exists at MIM::

> I supplied the addresses and vectors to match what SIMH has, but at network startup I get a complaint about the DMC-0 vector:
>
>> NCP SET SYS
> NTL -- DMC Template -- Vector 320 Not Available
> 	.INT1	$$DMC
> NTL -- DMC Template -- Vector 324 Not Available
> 	.INT2	$$DMC
> NTINIT -- Failed To Load Line DMC-0
>> ASN =XX:
>> NCP SET EXE STA ON
>
> As far as I can tell nothing else uses that vector.  It's happy with DMC-1 (vector 330).

Something must be using vector 320.

Try "CON DIS FULL ATT" and spot what might be using it.

> Also, I can't get CFE to set my nearby node names:
>
> CFE>def nod 41.1 name python
> CFE -- Name Node Server QIO failed, Function=IO.WND, I/O Status=205
>
> Does it matter that I specified that name during netgen?  But I also gave it MIM and that's defined just fine.

I wonder if it might be that the node name server isn't running. But I
don't understand why MIM would be possible to define in that case.
Do you perhaps already have a PYTHON defined with some other number?

Also, if you have DECnet up and running, check for [5,54]NNCFSL.TSK,
which is a task you can use to copy all the node names from another node
(like MIM).