[HECnet] SIMH TOPS-20 question --> recipe for handling Tops20 install tapes

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Dec 25 11:20:06 PST 2021

> On Dec 25, 2021, at 5:29 AM, R. Voorhorst <R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com> wrote:
>
> I think Paul cannot get these files loaded on his Tops20 V4.1 system from hecnet, being barred by lacking decnet and/or Kermit functionality.
>
> In the end (!) the tape recipe works as follows:
>
> Get a FRESH  copy of tape BB-D867E-BM_TOPS20_V41_2020_INSTL.TAP-1 (after unzip) from Pdp10 archive into a host directory.
>
> In simh when the monitor Tops20 V4.1 has been fired up or before:
> ATT –F TU0 SIMH G:\TEMP\BB-D867E-BM_TOPS20_V41_2020_INSTL.TAP-1        or your favorite location

I found that SIMH is happy attaching it with -f tpc -- previously I had misread the messages printed by that command and thought it had an error.

So according to the installation manual, that tape is the "install" tape and is supposed to be bootable.  But if I mount it and issue "boot tu0", nothing happens.  When I stop simh it tells me PC is 0.

	paul