[HECnet] SIMH TOPS-20 question --> recipe for handling Tops20 install tapes --> MTBOOT

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Dec 25 13:23:46 PST 2021

> On Dec 25, 2021, at 3:21 PM, R. Voorhorst <R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com> wrote:
>
> I do not see that problem and I posted it here somewhat earlier:
>
> Swbx04> att -f tu0 simh g:\temp\bb-d867e-bm_tops20_v41_2020_instl.tap-1
> Swbx04> b tu0
>
> And on console:
>
> MTBOOT>
>
> The first must be MTBOOT else you cannot load de monitor with /L and ?G143, so no skipping filemarks are needed as the monitor is the first file.
> Mark well, it is format simh=tps!

So it is, interesting.

What's strange is that -f tpc reports success, while -f simh reports an error:

After processing 1159680 bytes of tape data (453 records, 5 tapemarks)
Read Tape Record Returned Unexpected Status: invalid record length
19827814 bytes of unexamined data remain in the tape image file

but indeed in this format I can boot the tape.

	paul