[HECnet] PSTHRU.EXE poor-man routing object 123 for VMS on VAX

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Tue Dec 28 07:34:20 PST 2021

> Could you elaborate on what 'poor man' routing means, just so I'm sure I have
> the correct context?  I know that this term existed for 20's route NRT
> sessions.  It doesn't exist for CTERM.  I don't /think/ I remember seeing it
> for DAP/FAL/NFT.

Paul Koning explained it way better than I could do. In VMS both PHONE and SET
HOST, when presented with a PMR address, establish a pass-through connection
via intermediate nodes thanks to object 123 and its related PSTHRU.EXE helper.

Not by chance both PHONE.EXE and RTPAD.EXE call some UNS$NET_CONNECT routine,
where UNS obviously stands for unsupported. Other tools or functions such as
MAIL and RMS use their own mechanisms to do the same.

I agree with you about repositories, hence I'm trying to spread PSTHRU.EXE
around to avoid losing it again :)

HTH,
G.