[HECnet] PSTHRU.EXE poor-man routing object 123 for VMS on VAX

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 08:20:01 PST 2021

Your mention of PHONE rung a bell.  Err...  Jogged a memory.

Tops-20 implements the VAX PHONE protocol (object 29).  The source code
includes a separate file called 'DNCONN', which is a generalized
implementation of PMR, meaning it can be linked with other modules.  As
an aside, another pleasant memory was that I recognized the author,
Larry Campbell, from my Marlboro days.

The Tops-20 mail system implements just about any kind of routing you
can think of, MAIL-11, SMTP, BITNET and that odd Unix 'bang' notation.
It's odd for Tops-20 people because ! is a comment character for COMND%.

Version 4 and 5 Tops-20 implemented NRT connection handling and user
space.  Both the NRT server and client did PMR, but predate DNCONN, so
they don't use it.  For better execution, speed, the NRT server was
moved into the monitor, but I believe the connections were still handled
in user space.  By version 6, the connection logic was moved into the
monitor as well as the client logic.

The way the client logic worked is interesting; you'd make a connection
and then issue an MTOPR% and the monitor would take control of the
terminal, doing all the character handling in monitor mode, which
eliminated a lot of context switching and (presumably) yielded better
cache performance.  At Columbia, we realized that this effectively made
SETHOST redundant and put the parsing code into the EXEC, thus saving us
a fork slot.

The only downside was that you could no longer link a DECnet connection
to an NRT in user mode, which eliminated DNCONN and broke certain kinds
of solutions.  It's on my list to put it back.

I don't recall about the Tops-20 CTERM client.