[HECnet] SIMH TOPS-20 question --> recipe for handling Tops20 install tapes --> MTBOOT --> create new PS: structure

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 17:58:25 PST 2021

I downloaded both images, but am only looking at BB-H240B-BM at the moment.

This appears to be a KL distribution as it has a rather sizeable
directory for building an MCB imagine for a DN20.  A DN20 requires a
DTE, which the KS does not have.  You'd need something to DMA Unibus to
Unibus and I'm not sure whether that was ever a thing. Sounds like a
great idea, if you ask me.

However, I don't think any of it will be useful.  Also, I can't quite
tell; it may be Phase III.  At least a document says as much.  Have a
look at VENTI2::H240B.LST, which is a listing of the DUMPER save sets
and VENTI2::DECNET.DOC, which is the initial documentation for the release.

How would you like to proceed?  Skip this and look at the second tape,
which appears to be a 2020 based distribution?