[HECnet] DECnet on VMS version3

Peter Allan petermallan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 09:36:00 PST 2021

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get DECnet working on a simulated VAX 780 (with simh) with a
3.x version of VMS. This is largely for nostalgic reasons.

I have the version of VMS 3.0 from John Dundas that Supratim posted nearly
a year ago. I have also built a VMS 3.0 system by installing VMS from the
VMS 3.0 distribution tape. Both of those systems seem to work well.

However I am failing to find a way of getting DECnet working. I have a
DECnet end node key (and a routing key, come to that) from
http://iamvirtual.ca/VAX11/VAX-11-software.html but that says that it only
works for VMS 3.4 or later. I did try it on 3.0 anyway, but it did not get
DECnet to work. It complains about needing a license.

Can anyone help me either upgrade my VMS 3.0 system to VMS 3.4 or higher
(or just install the higher version from scratch), or help me find a DECnet
key that works with VMS 3.0.

Cheers

Peter Allan