[HECnet] Thousands of DECnet errors on Tops-20

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jan 17 14:34:59 PST 2021

On 2021-01-17 23:10, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> The only serial lines that I saw DECnet running on were synchronous
> connections.  The local connections between CU's 20's (before we got the
> CI's and NI's) were 56K baud synchronous lines running on KMC11's, which
> we thought were pretty hot stuff ...until...  Non-data center
> connections (our chemistry VAX, CMU & CWR 20's) were asynchronous lines
> running 9.6K baud (on DUP11's, I think).

Well, as noted, DDCMP exists both over synchronous and asynchronous
serial lines. And DDCMP did run over some other stuff as well.

> The PANDA monitor's Multinet code implements serial IP (SLIP), which it
> will run over an ordinary DL or DH based asynchronous lines.  I didn't
> immediately see anything similar for DECnet, but it is doubtful that MRC
> would have put that it in; the code was supposed to run on a 2020, which
> has different IO drivers.  If his 2020 5.0 changes ever do surface, it
> may be conceivable that some of them might be retrofitted into 7.1
> (depends on what's applicable).

Ok. Yeah my thinking was the equivalent of SLIP. It exists primarily in
VMS, where you can (if I remember right) even turn on DDCMP on a line
where you just logged in, which would be the thing on a dial up line.
RSX is a little more static in that serial lines using DDCMP have to be
configured in advance, and then cannot be used for normal terminal action.

> It is now possible that I will eventually figure out what this
> mysterious DDP device is.  I reconfigured both 20's to have the largest
> buffer possible (DECNET BUFFER-SIZE 1476 in SYSTEM:7-1-CONFIG.CMD, which
> I checked in the running monitor), rebooted /and/ ... I'm still getting
> the same frame too long error, viz:
>
>     ***********************************************
>     DECNET ENTRY
>       LOGGED ON 16-Jan-2021 01:29:38-EST      MONITOR UPTIME WAS 0
>     day(s) 0:16:8
>              DETECTED ON SYSTEM # 3691.
>              RECORD SEQUENCE NUMBER: 35752.
>     ***********************************************
>     DECNET Event type 5.15, Receive failed
>      From node 2.522 (VENTI2), occurred 16-JAN-2021 01:29:11
>
>        Line NI-0-0
>
>        Failure reason = Frame too long
>        Ethernet header = AB 00 00 03 00 00 / AA 00 04 00 08 0A
>
>     ***********************************************
>     DECNET ENTRY
>       LOGGED ON 16-Jan-2021 01:29:38-EST      MONITOR UPTIME WAS 0
>     day(s) 0:16:8
>              DETECTED ON SYSTEM # 3691.
>              RECORD SEQUENCE NUMBER: 35753.
>     ***********************************************
>     DECNET Event type 5.15, Receive failed
>      From node 2.522 (VENTI2), occurred 16-JAN-2021 01:29:28
>
>        Line NI-0-0
>
>        Failure reason = Frame too long
>        Ethernet header = AB 00 00 03 00 00 / AA 00 04 00 FF 0B
>
>     ************************************************************************
>
> Darn it‼️  So now I've got some modifications to actually make to the
> monitor to give some better error information (like the number of bytes
> overrun, if I can extract it).  So maybe I'll stumble over whatever DDP
> does.  It's odd; I can't think of any device that a pack of KL's could
> share except something like a dual ported disk or magnetic tape drive
> and that's only two KL's.

Definitely interested in what size we are talking about here, but I am
sortof suspecting you are getting 1500 byte frames, and it sounded like
the code you looked at suggested the maximum frame size to be slightly
short of this.

As for DDP, it's totally unrelated to this, so how about playing with
that another day?

Also not sure why you think it would be shared from a hardware perspective.

> Meanwhile, I'll also do a tcpdump so I can try to correlate what Tops-20
> is silently whining about with what's coming over the bridge.

Would be a bit interesting, yes.

> Finally, something to beware of if you are running the KLH10
> micro-engine and have a very large file that you're backing up (you're
> all running regular backups, /right/?)  The amount of disk activity will
> somehow prevent KLH10's front end timer from popping so, unless you are
> running my changes to DTESRV, you're going to /hang/ with a DTEKPA
> BUGINF.  A quick hack is to deposit a -1 into FEDBSW, which will keep
> the 20 from trying to reboot the front end (which KLH10 absolutely does
> not know how to handle).
>
> So the quarterly full backups worked fine on the development machine
> (VENTI2) which has the patch, but not on the production machine (TOMMYT)
> which does not.  Pity, I had been up over 32 weeks and was only a little
> short of 3,000 hours uptime.

Ouch. :-(