[HECnet] TOPS-10 D-Day, DECnet failure on November 9th is less than six days away

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Thu Nov 4 09:03:36 PDT 2021

>     .R MAKLIB
>     *REL:TOPS10.REL=REL:TOPS10.REL/MASTER:CLOCK1,DSK:CLOCK1.REL/REPLACE:CLOCK1
>     *REL:TOPS10.REL=REL:TOPS10.REL/INDEX
>     *^Z

  Thanks, Gerry!  This is really handy (and this is the part I couldn't remember/figure out last night!)...

>9. Run the monitor configuration utility.

  FWIW, you don't actually need to do a MONGEN in this case, assuming you've previously done one and you're not changing any selections.  Just skip straight to relinking...

>12. Copy the new monitor to the system directory giving it some unique name:
>
>     .COPY SYS:MYMON.EXE=DSK:SYSTEM.EXE

  This works fine, however the other common option is to copy your new monitor to [1,5].  On TOPS-10, [1,5] is NEW:, [1,4] is SYS: and [1,3] is OLD:.  At the BOOT> prompt you can simply type "[1,5]" (assuming you used the name SYSTEM.EXE) and BOOTS will load the new one.  If all is well, then you rename the [1,4]SYSTEM.EXE to [1,3], and then [1,5]SYSTEM.EXE to [1,4].  In the future BOOTS will load the one from [1,4] by default, and if you ever find that you need to go back then you can tell BOOTS "[1,3]" and it'll load the old one.

  Thanks again!

Bob