[HECnet] TOPS-10 D-Day, DECnet failure on November 9th is less than six days away

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Fri Nov 5 03:59:45 PDT 2021

>    FWIW, you don't actually need to do a MONGEN in this case, assuming you've previously done one and you're not changing any selections.  Just skip straight to relinking...

Yup! Those instructions were originally written for someone doing a new
installation, hence the need to run a MONGEN too as they had to setup several
parameters. For example, I have used it to configure DECnet and LAT, change
the default buffer size and hello timer, and so on... :)

>> 12. Copy the new monitor to the system directory giving it some unique name:
>>
>>      .COPY SYS:MYMON.EXE=DSK:SYSTEM.EXE
>
>    This works fine, however the other common option is to copy your new monitor to [1,5].  On TOPS-10, [1,5] is NEW:, [1,4] is SYS: and [1,3] is OLD:.  At the BOOT> prompt you can simply type "[1,5]" (assuming you used the name SYSTEM.EXE) and BOOTS will load the new one.  If all is well, then you rename the [1,4]SYSTEM.EXE to [1,3], and then [1,5]SYSTEM.EXE to [1,4].  In the future BOOTS will load the one from [1,4] by default, and if you ever find that you need to go back then you can tell BOOTS "[1,3]" and it'll load the old one.

Indeed, both solutions work perfectly. :)

Personally I find it more practical to type some monitor name rather than
brackets because I'm not a native English speaker hence my keyboard is mapped
differently. Now that I think of it, maybe having several monitors with
different "speaking" names may come handy in some experimental situations...

Thanks for your thanks, :)
G.