[HECnet] TOPS-10 D-Day, DECnet failure on November 9th is less than six days away

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:21:40 PDT 2021

Tops-20 gives you essentially the same functionality being able to
launch the monitor of your choice, having (I believe) the similar
restriction that the monitor in question has to be on a locally attached
disk (I.E., no CFS).

Personally, I prefer Tops-10's syntax format because I have to type less
at BOOT time.  Historically, a system being out of operation was a time
of extremely high pressure to get it back online (data center phones
would glow white hot...)

And then there was the sneezing which could fat key you. Although we had
four 20's in one room, we had some 55 tons of glycol chiller plus
environmental HVAC; Translation: the machine room was /arctic/.
Pre-global warming.

    So the less you type, the better...

One problem I have (if you want to call it that) is forgetting that I've
booted a different monitor.  So my 'production' 20 (TOMMYT) has been up
some 7,021 hours whilst the development machine (VENTI2) is currently at
a relative paltry 3,279 hours.

So in certain cases, I've gone and completely forgotten what the heck
I've been running...  Consequently, on a reboot, the previous monitor
comes up and I'm clueless, the result being I start asking myself, "Gee,
why am I seeing this failure mode?  I wonder what I missed when I fixed
this?"

As far as I can remember, the only way you can tell what monitor you're
running is by updating the version, typically the edit level, so that
INITIA, SYSTAT or INFO MON can see it.  I only remember to do that when
everything is debugged.  Most of the time...

One assumes that Bob will bump the edit number sometime after the 9^th .