[HECnet] DECnet/Python

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 17:09:52 PDT 2021

Boy, now that is a pal!

So where would somebody like me be able to get that?  The 4.1 Galaxy has
some very interesting things in MOUNTR that were sadly removed that I
would like to put in at some point in order to be able to set
super-domestic on a per-structure basis.

super-domestic can make your life easier because you have less directory
and user numbers overall to deal with.  However, the other side of that
coin is that you have less of them total.  If you have a large number of
directories, users and structures, you run out of number, maybe, maybe
(it's an 18 bit field)  There's also the case of a restored structure
with it's own numbers that might clash with super-domestic.  That might
happen if you grab a lot of DECUS stuff (although there is brokeness
there, too)

Still for, with automated number management, much of the headache (and
hence reason) for super-domestic goes away and I'd rather have the extra
granularity.

It really depends on how you're going to use the system and how 'Unixy'
you want certain things to work.  So I'd rather shut it off for my
purposes, but I sure wouldn't want it not to be available.