[HECnet] DECnet map, was Re: DECnet/Python

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Sat Nov 6 07:39:11 PDT 2021

On 05/11/21 17:23, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 11/5/21 1:11 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>> Yes, that's a typical issue.  Or DNA-compliant equipment that has
>> NICE turned off or restricted. I looked into using the DECnet MIB to
>> get information out of Cisco routers but that didn't seem to be
>> practical.
>
>   I think Brian has done some work in that area.  Or maybe that was
> just config stanza injection.

I had done both, actually. I have the tool that updates cisco configs
(the stanza injection) but i had also started writing a script that
walked the network to map it out.

I ran into exactly the same issue with the Cisco routers, however. The
only way I could figure out to get a reasonable amount of data out of
them was to SSH into them and that just wasn't a feasible option so the
script got abandoned.

-brian