[HECnet] Is this the most up to date version of DECnet OS numbers?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 16:13:00 PST 2021

I was in touch with Lars recently, talking with him about putting
Chaosnet back into the PANDA distribution as a number of programs (such
as the mailer and FTP) know how to use it.  I also wanted to put the VTS
(SUPDUP) service back in, too.

I've spent some looking at the code and I believe there were two
different Tops-20 implementations, one for the KL which ran on XX and
EECS and /maybe/ another that ran on the 2020.  ITS uses that hardware
configuration.  I don't remember anything about OZ, I don't think it was
on the 9th floor, at least not when I was hanging out there.

I'm not sure if the IBMSPL software had extensive usage.  Earlier
versions of it were /very/ cantankerous, but it improved.  I knew one of
the authors at Marlboro (K. Reti) who I thought was one of the more
brightest bulbs I had come across.  Columbia used IBMSPL extensively,
but not for the reasons you'd think.

In addition to routing CCnet (DECnet) email to the ARPAnet, we also
routed the _entirety_ of BITnet, which was a 'network' of IBM mainframes
that sent email to each other.  It wasn't SNA, they all looked like RJE
workstations and 'punched' card decks of email to each other.  I think
our news feed may have come through IBMSPL too.

In other words, that particular software was beat on day and night and
eventually functioned quite competently.  I keep thinking about putting
that up, too, although I don't know how I'd get the PDP-11 code working
(or what it might talk to)