[HECnet] RSTS/E started emitting "?EVTLOG (BLDNIC) -- %Integer error" messages

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Nov 11 13:44:25 PST 2021

> On Nov 11, 2021, at 3:56 PM, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So that's the difference between SET and DEFINE?  Gee, that's deluxe!  What a great idea!

It's part of the DECnet management specification, but the implementations vary.  There is a "permanent" and "volatile" database; the volatile one lasts only for a single DECnet run.  DEFINE and PURGE operate on the permanent database, SET and CLEAR on the volatile.

In RSTS, both are manipuated by NCP.  In some other DECnet implementations, the permanent database operations are in a different program but use the standard syntax; I think RSX does it that way.

	paul