[HECnet] RSTS/E started emitting "?EVTLOG (BLDNIC) -- %Integer error" messages

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Nov 11 14:04:13 PST 2021

On 2021-11-11 22:44, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Nov 11, 2021, at 3:56 PM, Thomas DeBellis <tommytimesharing at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So that's the difference between SET and DEFINE?  Gee, that's deluxe!  What a great idea!
>
> It's part of the DECnet management specification, but the implementations vary.  There is a "permanent" and "volatile" database; the volatile one lasts only for a single DECnet run.  DEFINE and PURGE operate on the permanent database, SET and CLEAR on the volatile.

And then you have SHOW/LIST.

> In RSTS, both are manipuated by NCP.  In some other DECnet implementations, the permanent database operations are in a different program but use the standard syntax; I think RSX does it that way.

Yes, RSX have a different program to manipulate the permanent db.
Commands are still the same as mentioned above.

And just to make one more thing clear to Thomas - this is about more
than just defining node names. All kind of DECnet configuration stuff
goes through here.