[HECnet] RSTS/E started emitting "?EVTLOG (BLDNIC) -- %Integer error" messages

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:36:43 PST 2021

gnuemacs?  There's a processor limitation or hardship?  That's never
occurred to me as I'm running on Tops-20 right now, which is plenty
different from anything else.  The M1 is still fairly new, so maybe
people haven't gotten around to gnuemacs just yet.  Some will insist on
vi...

I have done a microscopic amount of programming in gnu LISP to customize
it; in other words to make gnemacs work more like Tops-20/TENEX/ITS TECO
based EMACS so that it doesn't drive me crazy.  This code functions on
the other platforms I use (Mac OSX, Windows, Ubuntu) with no
modifications.  Obviously some kinds of key bindings are tricky as well
as fonts.

If you want to call it this, gnemacs does have some compiled code, that
is C based built-in functions.  I have had occasion to look at some of
the C source in order to make sure that I understood actually what was
going to be done.  I don't recall seeing any kind of a processor
restriction per se, although there could have been conditionals to
better leverage certain processors.

I guess you could differentiate it like the difference between MIDAS
based TECO and EMACS based TECO macros.