[HECnet] DEfining HECnet node names on TOPS-10

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:30:06 PST 2021

/What??/

Case?!  Order?!  Abbreviations?!  What the heck is this? /Real/ programs
don't care about any of that!

The return was necessary because Tops-20 DEC standard SETNOD would
gracefully signal end-of-input file by going into an endless loop.  It
would also be appropriate in OPR if you did an ENTER NCP, first and then
end-of-file file would put you back into the main OPR parse level.  The
formats are similar enough that they could be parsed by OPR for the
volatile definitions and SETNOD for for the permanent ones.

However, if you used the text file on boot, that would probably slow
down system availability by about 5 to 10 seconds (if you were waiting
on Galaxy to set logins).  Galaxy has a bunch of stuff to do before its
ready for OPR. These commands then have to be parsed by OPR using COMND%
which is not that efficient, then sent via IPCF% to Orion, when then has
to IPCF% NML. Not fast...

I can really only think of one reason to order the node file, but it is
neither by name or number.  While the binary file is loaded into the
monitor with one NODE% JSYS, the monitor does not load it in the order I
write it.  The internal monitor tables are hash based.

If you reverse engineer the hashing algorithm and you look at the
instruction paths, then maybe (/maybe/) you could optimally order the
binary file to minimize the impact of certain clash operations on load.
For some bizarre reason, I haven't asked Johnny to sort the text file in
hash order...