[HECnet] LSSM group visit today

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 16 10:57:41 PST 2021

On 11/16/21 1:32 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> It's fairly simple, if a bit stupid.
> You can see an older version of the Datatrieve code inside the C file,
> but a more up to date version is in the CMD file.
>
> The C code also make use of a C library to access the DTR call
> interface, making it a bit easier to use than the standard interface DEC
> defined.

   Ok, it sounds like that's a good example to learn from.  I hope to
dig into it soon(ish).

> An extra RL02 is almost invaluable. We do crash dumps on it, we run
> diagnostics from it, we can easily move files to/from it on the RL02 and
> so on...
>
> And the tape drive is nice for backups, software installations...
> Although nowadays with virtual tapes, the tape drive isn't needed that
> often. A long time since the last RSX release came around. :-)
> TU81 is 1600/6250. So from time to time we have hooked up a TU77 as
> well. But the status of those drives are a bit unknown today.

   That reminds me, I forgot to mention, FANG does have a TE16 on an
RH70.  We're waiting for Terry of Terry's Rubber Rollers to finish
recovering from covid19 so we can get the roller re-done, but we've
gotten it to the point where it pulls tape.

   Yes we very much want to plumb in that RL02.

> But occasionally we also get requests for media conversions... For that
> purpose we also did plan for quite a while to hook up an RK11 and RK611
> to Magica. But now I think we'll have to scrap that plan.

   :-(

   If you get stuck and need RK07 work done, LSSM has an RK07 on a
PDP-11/50, and another on a PDP-11/t55.

> I sortof don't like the 11/34 that much. Boring front panel (if you even
> have one), and limited capabilities. :-)

   The 11/34 is my favorite PDP-11, because it was my first, 36 years
ago. (not this one, but one just like it)

> The one other big thing on the wish list for any 11/70 would be a
> PEP-70/HC-70 combo...

   Yes, that would be very nice indeed.