[HECnet] ANF10 network --> DN200 (RJE, Decnet) --> should be Ddcmp --Re3

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 16:50:59 PST 2021

Correction...

Character mode sync in SIMH seems utterly trivial; just treat it as an async stream except that the device would supply sync bytes when the software isn't feeding it data for a while.  Perhaps just a couple, just enough to act as a boundary; no need to flood the connection with data.

HDLC mode is different; HDLC is inescapably a packet mode service since the flags are packet delimiters.  A small complication is that it can carry any bit count, not just whole bytes.  So the network encoding of a simulated HDLC device needs to handle that.  A UDP encoding could just be a packet containing the data bytes, with one byte appended to specify how many bits in the last data byte are meaningful.  (So a typical whole-byte packet might be "abcdefgh\010".)  A TCP encoding  could be similar with a packet length at the start.  If it's desirable not to buffer whole frames, the stream could be broken into fragments with the last one (where the flag appears) marked as last.  That would be necessary if arbitrary length frames are wanted, though a sensible protocol doesn't use frames longer than a thousand bytes or so since the 16-bit CRC isn't strong enough for really long frames.

	paul