[HECnet] ANF10 network --> DN200 (RJE, Decnet) --> should be Ddcmp --> Re:4 --> Cryptic

Mark Matlock mark at matlockfamily.com
Fri Nov 19 10:06:15 PST 2021

All,
    This discussion has been quite interesting!  Back in the 1982, I did programming for a
large RSX11M/DECnet based system that input commodity trading data from around eight
different commodity exchanges (CBOT, COMEX, Mercantile, etc.) as well as commodity news
service and distributed it to over 200 VT100s located all over the U.S.

    The host system was an 11/44 connected to the development 11/44 via DMCs and
they shared a DT07 bus with box. In the DT07 was a couple DZ11s for data input
from the exchanges and a DV11 with 16 synchronous serial ports that were connected
to twelve remotely located 11/23s running RSX11S & DECnet.

  The 11/23s were downloaded RSX11S via their DUV11s and the re-entrant RSX tasks
received DECnet task to task data packets about trades and then displayed individualized
data to ~20 VT100s on DZV11s and DLV11-Js.

   A DUP11 on one of the 11/44s also did RJE jobs to an IBM mainframe. A watch-dog
timer ran between the 11/44s so that a semi-hot fail over could occur and the DT07 would
move the I/O to the development system if the primary had hardware issues.

   Later I had an 11/24 that connected into this network via the CPUs 2nd DL11 port that
was often used for a TU58. I don’t remember exactly what it connected to on the 11/44
side. All the network connections were 9600 baud point to point lease lines from AT&T.

   If anyone out there has a DECnet distribution for RSX11S, I’d love to get a copy
to experiment with today.

Best,
Mark