[HECnet] ANF10 network --> DN200 (RJE, Decnet) --> should be Ddcmp --> Re:4 --> Cryptic

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Nov 19 08:50:39 PST 2021

Well, I meant this in the context of a DUP11, but sure, it's also true
with DMC.

But basically, in RSX, DECnet is just a component of something called
the communications executive, or CEX. CEX provides its own environment
in which multiple processes run, and provide services.

CEX then provides an interface to its drivers from RSX, which means that
any RSX program can make use of the services and protocols that CEX
have, without have DECnet in the picture.

So for example, CEX provides communication lines, which are packet
based. If that is over asynch lines it utlizes DDCMP over async serial.
Any application in RSX can make use of this. If you instead have a synch
line, like a DUP11, or DMC, that is another interface inside CEX. From
the outside it makes no difference if it is a DUP or a DMC. Bottom side
is synch serial, using DDCMP. With DMC this is all done in the hardware.
With a DUP11, CEX is doing the DDCMP layer in software.

For the user program this is all invisible. You just communicate over
the DUP11, and it will be doing DDCMP.

If you actually want to use the DUP11 *whithout* DDCMP, then you'd go
for the DUP11 device driver instead of accessing it through CEX.

And talking to a device using CEX in RSX means you talk to the "direct
line access" interface, or DLX. That is just one interface, independent
of what underlying hardware you are going to access. In the DLX, you
start by opening the link, and for that you use the name, which is the
same as the line name you see for DECnet. But you are in fact then just
talking at the line level, using whatever protocol layer is used for
that line. DDCMP, for example.

Anything using DDCMP is always in packets. Don't matter how the hardware
looks.

DLX is also used to access ethernet, by the way. And that is how I
coexist with DECnet in RSX, since ethernet can allow multiple channels
on the same hardware.

I hope this makes sense. Else I can try to explain it more.

   Johnny