[HECnet] req for assistance: is snmp blocked for some / all ? does it work?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Nov 30 13:39:58 PST 2021

On 2021-11-30 21:22, Ian McLaughlin wrote:

>> On Nov 30, 2021, at 12:17 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Or to put it differently, if there is any reason why Cisco routers can't be replaced by PyDECnet nodes, I'd like to know what's missing.
>
> Time? Knowledge? Money for new hardware?

I'd expect that money for hardware would not be a thing, since you can
run that on a silly RPi for a few bucks.
But the other reasons are certainly true sometimes.

> I hope we are not going to start making rules about what is and is not allowed on the network.

We are not. Anything that can speak DECnet is welcome. I'm just
expressing a bit of frustration in that the Cisco boxes are really the
most opaque. The fact that people are trying to adopt SNMP to just get
some stuff out that all other nodes can provide within the DECnet domain
says it all.

But no, we should never exclude anything based on this. As long as it
can communicate, it should be allowed.