[HECnet] req for assistance: is snmp blocked for some / all ? does it work?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 30 13:50:49 PST 2021

On 11/30/21 4:15 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> Or to put it differently, if there is any reason why Cisco routers can't be replaced by PyDECnet nodes, I'd like to know what's missing.
>>
>> Time? Knowledge? Money for new hardware?
>>
>> I hope we are not going to start making rules about what is and is not allowed on the network.
>
> That wasn't my intent.  PyDECnet runs well on devices as small and inexpensive as BeagleBone Green.  But the point of my comment was to ask if, functionally, there are things missing that prevent moving away from Cisco routers, as opposed to the reasons you gave which remain valid.

   The network infrastructure here is Cisco.  There's a biggish Cisco
router and a dozen Cisco switches on the network, spanning several
floors across three buildings.  None of that is going away.

   I view DECnet routing, as all other types of network routing, to be a
part of the infrastructure.  I could, with a bit of effort, be convinced
to move the DECnet part of that infrastructure from a built-like-a-tank
Cisco infrastructure appliance onto a server.

   It's true that some other parts of the low-level infrastructure here,
such as DNS, DHCP, etc, run on servers as well, so it wouldn't be
completely unprecedented.  It's just not how I'm accustomed to designing
and running commercial networks, which is something that I've been doing
essentially the same way for a few decades.

   If someone can present to me cogent arguments for moving away from
GRE tunnels on a Cisco onto a Python program running on a server that
doesn't involve "I hate Cisco" (which, while not explicitly stated,
comes through loud and clear in a number of these threads), and perhaps
offer some guidance and assistance in the configuration, it's something
that I would consider doing.

   There are eleven DECnet tunnels terminating here; I also have to
consider the impact it would have on those people.

   The big point for us is that DECnet/HECnet connectivity here isn't
just some recreational thing that exists on a Raspberry Pi on the dining
room table for play every now and then.  It's up 24/7 like the rest of
the network, so that when any system at the museum that is
DECnet-capable boots up, it's online.  When visitors show up at the
museum, they expect things to work, as that's what we advertise.  We
frequently demo HECnet to visitors.  We also have plans coming together
for a more extensive 24/7 presence on HECnet, other than the big Cisco
router and the Itanium2 VMS machine that are always up.  So anything
that replaces the Cisco in this capacity must be a "set it and forget
it" thing, essentially 100% maintenance-free, etc, just like the Cisco.

   I do have a minor issue with performance-sensitive infrastructure
code being written in the lumbering pig that is Python, but that's a
personal prejudice and I can ignore it.  I understand why that choice
was made.

   So, talk to me about these things.