[HECnet] Back on HECNET!

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 18:00:38 PDT 2021

> On Oct 1, 2021, at 8:54 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 21-Oct-01 15:25, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> On Oct 1, 2021, at 4:00 AM, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Man I wish we weren't on the Amber list. Such a hassle to travel there right now.
>>>
>>> I should get simh fired up on the NUC. I'm thinking something PDP-11 and then maybe..... RSX? I don't even know what I'd want to run.
>>>
>>> Does the PDP-11 stuff properly do idle? The NUC is pretty powerful, why not run several PDP-11s? :-D
>> Yes for RSTS, I don't remember RSX, and I don't think so for RT11.
>
> Also for RSX. Basically, they both use WAIT, and that's all that is required from simh. RT-11 is busy-looping, though.

That's what I thought but that's only half correct.  RT-11 SJ does busy looping; RT-11 FB has an idle task that includes a wait instruction (which is how it gets the rotating lights pattern -- the difference with other OSs is that it sets the pattern into the display register rather than into R0).

; "A SOURCE OF INNOCENT MERRIMENT!"
;	- W.S. GILBERT, "MIKADO"
; "DID NOTHING IN PARTICULAR, AND DID IT VERY WELL"
;	- W.S. GILBERT, "IOLANTHE"
; "TO BE IDLE IS THE ULTIMATE PURPOSE OF THE BUSY"
;	- SAMUEL JOHNSON, "THE IDLER"

10$:	DEC	(PC)+		;THE RT-11 LIGHTS ROUTINE!
20$:	1
	BNE	14$		;NOT TOO OFTEN
	ADD	#512.,20$	;RESET COUNT, CLEAR CARRY
16$:	ROL	13$		;JUGGLE THE LIGHTS
	BNE	11$		;NOT CLEAR YET
	COM	13$		;TURN ON LIGHTS, SET CARRY
11$:	BCC	12$		;NOTHING FELL OFF, KEEP MOVING
	ADD	#100,16$	;REVERSE DIRECTION
	BIC	#200,16$	;ROL/ROR FLIP
12$:	MOV	(PC)+,@(PC)+	;PUT IN LIGHTS
13$:	.WORD	0,SR
14$:	MOVB	#MXJNUM/2+200,INTACT ;DO A COMPLETE SCAN
EXUSLK:	BR	EXUSER		;BACK INTO LOOKFOR LOOP

	paul