[HECnet] Back on HECNET!

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 17:19:00 PDT 2021

I am trying to remember the lights on the 11's that I used; these are in
the 1978-1981 time frame.  WPI had an 11/45 with a (NICE!) GT40 in
mechanical engineering which ran RT-11.  I remember that busy looping.
The computer science department had a (mighty) 11/05 which ran a couple
of things:

  * RT, looping (lots of blinky)
  * Unix, can't remember as we almost never ran it.  It was pretty much
    a curiosity and the terminal handling of the time was thoroughly
    despised.
  * RSX, not so much blinky

Columbia had a very nice 11/45 which ran RSTS which didn't blink so
much.  11/40's (which were the front-end's for the 20's) ran a version
of RSX called 20F (Johnny can speak to it better than I can).  For
Tops-20 3A, it didn't have much to do as the DH's handled a bit of the
buffering, so it didn't blink so much.  From version 4 on, it had to
handle smooth scrolling which broke everything; it had to do continuous
polling to looking for ^S's, which the hardware would not pause on.
Lots of blinky, which was a shame because you used to be able to open
the door and could guess at how many users you had by looking at the
lights for 3A.

The DN20's ran either MCB (DECnet) or DN60 (IBM bisynch
communications).  However, these were 11/34's which couldn't even do
blinky.  I don't know how MCB idle's; I don't think we had source.

We did have source for the DN60, which I was responsible for being the
Galaxy dude.  The DN60 appears to be written from scratch, but some of
it strikes me as possibly being from RSX.  It had a three level
'friendly' round-robin scheduler (I.E., no preemption).  Basically, the
idle task either updates various clocks, checking for certain conditions
or it loops checking to see if any tasks can be run.  I would predict
that, were it to be run on something with a bit display, that there
would be a lot of blinky.

;
; SUBROUTINE CALLED BY THE DISPATCHER WHEN ALL TASKS ARE WAITING.
;
DSPIDL: INC     DSPMTY          ;NOTE DISPATCHER IDLE CYCLE
         BVC     11$             ;BRANCH IF NO OVERFLOW
         STOPCD  WDG             ;CLOCK HAS STOPPED TICKING
11$:    CMP     DSPCLK,JIFCLK   ;IS THE DISPATCHER CLOCK UP TO DATE?
         BNE     12$             ;NO.
         RTS     PC              ;YES, CHECK ALL TASKS AGAIN.

Those quotes are great; I don't remember anything like that in DN60.