[HECnet] DECnet/Python

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 17:29:35 PDT 2021

I had been wanting to put some DDCMP code back into later versions of
Tops-20.  I don't believe it exists in 5, 6 or 7.  I'm not sure if it
made it into MRC's version of 5 for the KS and those sources have yet to
be recovered.

A KL class machine communicates with DECnet via the CI, the NI or a DTE,
which is a connection to a DN20.  A DN20 is a PDP-11 running DECnet (I
think it's MCB), but I believe you are limited to Phase III.  The last
time I was in that particular neck of the monitor woods, I believe I saw
that the Phase IV router code would not use a DN20 as a router.  I'm
pretty sure it would hand packets to to any node that the DN20 knew about.

It didn't look like it would be a big deal to remove that restriction to
the DN20, but my recollection was that they never spoke full Phase IV.
So I would need something simulating a 'smart' DN20.  Maybe a brilliant
DN20.

Or I could make the KMC/DUP look like a MASSBUS device, adapt the 4.2
UNIBUS based drivers to use that hardware paradigm and then simulate the
hardware and then graft the 4.2 DDCMP code to be another transport
option for the router.

For some very strange reason, this is my idea of fun.