[HECnet] Apologies to those downstream of me on area 29

Keith Halewood Keith.Halewood at pitbulluk.org
Sun Oct 31 09:52:46 PDT 2021

Hi,

Apologies for my HECnet connections being up and down over the past day or two. I finally decided to 'upgrade' to a Draytek Vigor 2865ac router from the older 2862ac and/or the home grown linux/pf-sense I have been experimenting with on and off. Anyway, the documentation stated that I could dump the config of the old vigor and install it into the new one. It looked ok but quite frankly wasn't. Half the WAN side of things wouldn't come up and kept crashing the entire unit. So I configured it from scratch... and cleared out a load of old stuff as a result.
Routing policy doesn't work properly and gets misconfigured when you're not using the default 'address of router' for NAT-based operations - support request logged.
IPv6... yes I know you don't want to know or care... nevertheless... There's some (state sponsored?) port scanning on random IPv6 host addresses with my prefix. The router is naturally blocking them but the damned IPv6 neighbour table is filling up with them! They don't go anywhere, but over the last few hours, the table now has about 900 entries - another support request logged... and the bloody router hasn't been out of its box for more than a day!

Keith