[HECnet] How long has your 20 been up?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jan 18 17:04:37 PST 2022

On 2022-01-19 01:57, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Jan 18, 2022, at 7:48 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>>
>> By then, we probably also need to look at/revise how we compute leap years... It's well known that the current algorithm will slowly get us out of phase again...
>
> The Gregorian algorithm is amazingly accurate, I wonder if the earth rotation slowing down is the bigger issue.  Then again, I suspect a whole lot of computer date algorithms will get 2100 wrong; I know RSTS has the Julian leap year rule.  Not that it really matters given the Y2035 issue...

It is fairly good, but not perfect. I think it have been brought up that
there should be a 3200 year rule, beyond the 100 and 400 rule. The
Wikipedia article says it should be a 4000 year rule
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Accuracy). So either
I'm misremembering, or else there are some different ideas about this...

RSX will deal correctly with the 4/100/400 rules (which means we're
talking Gregorian). I think pretty much everything in RSX is secured up
until 2155, and before then I think the only problem is DECnet, and
things like FLX which deals with RT-11 filesystems.
Beyond 2155, a few more things will cause problems, but nothing
catastrophic.