[HECnet] How long has your 20 been up?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:10:06 PST 2022

Funny you should mention that.

Back in 1997, I and a number of technical colleagues from Big Bank went
to Maynard for a futures presentation based on the Alpha chip and
Digital Unix.  It was pretty wizzy and they were doing some very
impressive stuff.  However, some questions just got blank stares, which,
at the time, we thought remarkable.

One topic was what they were doing about Y2K and how Digital Unix was
already positioned.  So I asked, "Great, are you using a 64 bit time_t
struct?" Blank stares...  "You are aware that the default time_t is a 32
bit struct and will roll over in 2038, right?  As long as you have this
great 64 bit platform and are looking at everything, why not change the
definition and avoid the problem altogether?"  Foot shuffling... "Uh, we
haven't gotten to that, yet"

They had about 15 minute slide deck extolling their enhanced C compiler
which knew all about optimizations for the Alpha chip and how it
completely outperformed the standard C compiler, Bench marks, Etc.,
Etc.  A colleague of mine asked, "What kind of speed ups have you seen
in recompiling Digital Unix?"  Blank stares... I said, "You have done
this, haven't you?  I mean, it's the one obvious speed up that every
user would benefit from"  Foot shuffling...

Maybe we were being too snarky...  Technical staff at Big Bank was all
about risk management.